Getting ready for school

Wednesday, August 18, 2010


This year a lot of my son's friends are starting preschool. They are only 3 years old but as the second child is born into so many of the families we hang out with it seems the older child is going off to school. My son will be staying home again this year since as much as I want to we haven't had another addition to our family. All these little ones going off to school has got me thinking, what can I do know to prepare my son for next year when he really does start his school journey?

I am not a teacher and don't think I could do the best job homeschooling

my kid but in a totally laid back way my son and I have started working our way through these workbooks for preschoolers. Getting Your Preschooler Ready for Math and Getting Your Preschooler Ready to Read are perfect for doing just as the title suggests. He might not be getting the structure that a formal preschool provides but with books like this I feel like I am getting him ready for school a little bit at a time without any pressure to perform.

After we finish these two books I plan to pick up Big Preschool Workbook and Big Preschool Activity Workbook from School Zone Publishing. I don't expect him to know everything and I don't want to push him too much but at this point with school a whole year away it's too early to start the conversations about actually starting school but it isn't to early to expose him the information he will need and be learning while he is there.
So at this point in our going to school journey we are just trying to take in the new ideas and concepts that he will prepare him for the school room and we are doing that one workbook page at a time.

“I wrote this blog post while participating in the
TwitterMoms blogging program to be eligible to get a HarperCollins book
set. For more information on how you can participate,
click here.”


“I wrote this blog post

0 your two cents:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
 
 
Creative Commons License
This work by Rayna Nielsen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.