Act Three: Frank McCourt

Sunday, July 19, 2009


Frank McCourt author of Angela's Ashes passed away today.
He said once: "F. Scott Fitzgerald said there are no second acts in American lives. I think I've proven him wrong, and all because I refused to settle for a one-act existence, the 30 years I taught English in various New York City high schools."

I want to go a step further and challenge that, I think for some people you don't get one or two acts but three. the first act is the path you begin on mostly whatever path your station and family have put you on, then act two begins at the point in your life when you take charge and become who you want to be and act three is not death but what happens after. I don't mean spiritually I mean here on Earth, how you are remembered and the mystery of how your memory changes over time. Frank McCourt will have a long third act.

I read Angela's Ashes for fun but they read it in a lot of schools now, as they should. It is an amazing book, It sounds cliche but I laughed out loud and I cried real tears when I read that book. Definitely a book you should make time to read.



Currently "Reading":
Magazine - Parents July issue
Book - Poemcrazy






1 your two cents:

Kit said...

I felt sad too when Hubby announced Frank McCourt's death recently. But then he told me that he'd lived a ripe, long life and his book (and movie) are such bestsellers I think he's happy.

I loved 'Angela's Ashes' and will be looking out for 'Tis'. May he rest in peace.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
 
 
Creative Commons License
This work by Rayna Nielsen is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.